Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Why My Book Is Needed

Dear Literary Loves,
Well, I just finished a great memoir enitled The Dog Lived (And So Will I) by Teresa J. Rhyne.  And I ask myself after reading this book what my book has that this one does not.  And here's the thing, I had much more going on in my life during the year I write about than just cancer.  I had my dad's stem cell transplant, my own glaucoma surgery, my husband's termination, and last but certainly not least, learning how to have a brother rather than a sister.  I could have saved the author a lot of confusion by letting her know to stay with the big university hospital not just for surgery, but for chemo and radiation as well.  Yes, it was an hour's drive from her house, but I'm telling you, she dealt with some seriously disenfranchised doctors once she opted to utilize smaller treatment centers in her neck of the woods.  I mean, seriously, I thought the woman was going to pass out before anyone in the chemo facility realized she was having an allergic reaction to a particular chemo.  And let's just get this out of the way now, if you have a bad feeling or a feeling that a doctor is too busy to deal with your case, then you need to GET THEE THE HELL OUT OF DODGE. Because cancer is serious business and you don't need one more less than optimal thing in your life.  Trust me.  Needless to say, it was interesting seeing that animals are being given the same types of chemo as humans, but in much differing doses.  Plus, my family is just one rolling, traveling circus.  There were a lot more laugh out loud moments in my manuscript than in this particular book.  But I did enjoy the book, would happily work with the book's editor, but here's the thing:  I CAN'T MAKE YOU OR ME SUCCESSFUL IF A PUBLISHER/EDITOR/AGENT DOESN'T GIVE MY MANUSCRIPT A CHANCE.

No comments:

Post a Comment