Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Review: Bossypants by Tina Fey

This is an entertaining read as I expected no less from Tina Fey.  In it she discusses her life lessons as a teenager, a comedian, a writer, an author, and a producer/director.  I particularly loved her brief "Improv" lessons.  I was struck mostly by how much difficulty she encounters when trying to juggle motherhood and career, and the flak a female trying to do both can receive from other people.  I was also particularly interested in some of what I would describe as chauvinistic events she has endured coming up through the ranks as a comedian.  Amy Poehler knows how to handle these type of men admirably well according to Ms. Fey. 

Additionally, I was somewhat shocked to learn her parents are Republicans, and she was at first hesitant to tackle the role of Sarah Palin.  I think she nails the impression spot on.  She did have reservations about doing the Saturday Night Live episode along with Sarah Palin only because she thought a New York audience might be disapproving to Palin.  Once SNL added Alec Baldwin to the mix for the episode featuring Palin, all worked out well.  Definitely an insightful read for someone who wants to work in comedy, acting, or producing.

No comments:

Post a Comment