Saturday, April 13, 2013

Review: Unwasted: My Lush Sobriety by Sacha Z. Scoblic

Recently, I sat down to read the memoir Unwasted:  My Lush Sobriety by Sacha Z. Scoblic.  I didn't order this memoir because I wanted to see how someone recovers after swirling to the bottom of the barrel or bottle.  I don't drink period because just the smell of alcohol reduces me to dry heaves which is not a pretty picture.  I ordered this book in order to see what types of memoirs Kensington Books is publishing.  I've been trying to reach them regarding my own memoir manuscript, but never receive a response from them.  I find this annoying and rude, but it's their reputation, not mine.  This writer thoroughly examines what happens when your life spins out of control as a result of alcohol abuse.  Frankly, at the beginning of the book, I started to wonder if maybe she had a death wish or something because I was shocked at some of the horrifying situations she described which occurred as a result of the desire for intoxication.  The gal has problems socializing without alcohol; she hangs out with people who don't have her best interests at heart; her work life suffers as a result of alcohol; she finds herself lying and racking up tremendous amounts of debt; some mornings she strolls home at seven in the morning; and her body is really taking a beating all for the love of the bottle.  It's scary.  She does come around to the conclusion that she doesn't like the person she has becomes as a result of alcohol abuse and that's when she makes the decision to go sober cold turkey.  It's not easy.  She passes a host of bars in Washington D.C. on her walk to work each morning; she loses friendships; she finds herself raging at folks who rhapsodize about different levels of alcohol addiction; she comes up against coworkers wanting her to go to happy hour after work; she's invited to dinners where alcohol is not only served but also used in cooking; conventions bring her face to face with social situations featuring alcohol; and she is surprised that AA support groups aren't only made up of bikers with full body tattoo work.  Most importantly, throughout this process she learns she can't accomplish sobriety by herself and she must find a "faith" in which she can believe and rely.

No comments:

Post a Comment