Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Review: When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

Dear Lit Loves,

Greetings! Regarding my efforts to obtain publication for my own manuscript in the memoir genre, the update is that I have three editors wishing to see my work and quite possibly consider acquiring it so it can be published.  On the quest to find a literary agent, I have two literary agents with my book proposal and the full manuscript; however, I can't wait forever on a decision of whether they will represent me as a writer so I'm waiting patiently until a time I've designated where upon whether I am signed by a literary agent or not, I will hit the self-publishing button.

In the meantime, I was eager for my latest read to be released entitled When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi.  This memoir is about a young neurosurgeon/neuroscientist who is completing his residency when it is discovered he has a stage four cancer.  Honestly, I think he had an inkling that he had cancer before it was confirmed by a CT scan.  Even before this diagnosis though, he had been pondering what makes a virtuous and meaningful life as he often encountered patients who required very complex, microscopic surgery on their brains.  He needed to know what made his patients lives meaningful so he could keep that in mind when advising them on what treatment course to pursue, but often  he kept this in mind during surgery on a patient because depending on what he discovers upon opening the skull, it might come down to whether he knew if a patient could tolerate paralysis, loss of speech, loss of mobility, etc.  Our brains are so closely linked to our identity and what gives our life meaning and function. And thank heavens this doctor not only recognized that, but was thoughtful enough to ask his patients about their lives and what gave their lives meaning and purpose.

I think a great deal of what helped Dr. Kalanithi was that he was an active participant in learning about his type of cancer, what treatments were most successful, and being co-captain of the ship when it came down to what treatments he pursued.  So many people I find often assume, well, that's the doctor's job and he/she's got the degree so I'll just do what they say.  I can't fathom making that kind of assumption and not knowing about my disease, the treatments for it, and actively questioning why my doctor is choosing this medication or surgery over others that are available.  I also think what helped Dr. Kalanithi is that he had a supportive wife who stayed with him throughout the entire journey from diagnosis until the end.  I think she contributed to helping keep him alive and I was impressed that she remained loyal right to the very end of her husband's life.  My father once told me about how when his brother was diagnosed with leukemia in the late 1960s, his brother's wife just left the scene and took their daughter with her.  She couldn't handle the diagnosis, treatments, and prognosis.  My dad always felt like that probably was as much of what caused his brother's death as the leukemia.  Support really does matter and make a difference when it comes to facing serious illness and death.  Or at least that's what I believe.

I think Dr. Kalanithi found his answer as to what makes for a meaningful life because he took the time to examine his life and his priorities.  He knew he loved neurosurgery; he knew he loved helping patients; he knew he loved his wife, family, and friends; he knew how much joy he gained from what he did for a living and how much the people closest to him meant to his life.  And I think he knew how much he loved writing so he also began chronicling his story in the form of a manuscript to leave behind as a gift for his family.  I think it's also a gift to humanity because whether anyone wants to admit it or talk about it, we all only have a finite amount of time on this earth.  As my father who died of Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma last year said to me, "The grim reaper always finds you".  And when it comes to cancer, it's more than likely going to be an excruciating battle. 

More than anything I think this book is about a very gifted neurosurgeon whose life came to a close too soon.  He wrestled with that reality, but eventually he decided he was going to die on his own terms staring death right in the eye and taking his last breath peacefully.  And he decided upon diagnosis not to just give up and become a recluse.  Heck, the man even was able for a time to return to neurosurgery, but he knew when his body was telling him it was time to step away from the operating table and find joy in what he could on a day to day basis given the atrocious side effects of the cancer and its treatments.  My dad wasn't a neurosurgeon, but he assumed the same brave stance as Dr. Kalanithi when it came to his cancer.  He "got in the ring" with the beast three different times.  And the best gift he gave me was his example of courage, commitment, love, and he often told me how much joy he had experienced in his life and that when the grim reaper came for him, he had no regrets.  Dad knew he had lived a good life; he told me so.  That doesn't mean I don't miss him terribly each and every day.  I hope one day to get his story published, too. 

I highly recommend this book.  I think it glows with insights into life and what makes it meaningful as well as precarious.  More importantly, I think it will make the reader think about what gives his/her life meaning.  How do you wish to live your last days?  How do you wish to be remembered?  More importantly, do you live to discover and embrace the joy that's present in your life on a daily basis?  Life's a gift and you get to question and discover what's meaningful and purposeful and most important to you during your time here.  So, how will your book read??

Till my next post,
Grace
(Amy)

No comments:

Post a Comment