Monday, February 15, 2016

Book Review: Home Is Burning by Dan Marshall

Dear Lit Loves,

First, let me say that I think dealing with the traditional publishing industry has virtually pushed me to the point of going rogue.  Thank you, Jesus, I can truthfully say that I have learned the art of dealing with rejection.  There comes a point though when a writer, particularly one like me who writes in the memoir genre and whose name is not Kim Kardashian, has to begin to contemplate if the gatekeepers (literary agents) really have their finger on the pulse of what constitutes a manuscript that is worthy to be published by the big five publishers and to sit on shelves in your local bookstore.  Quite frankly, I'm going to tell you that there are times when I have looked across a table at my husband and said, "I don't think these folks get it."   At which point my husband will usually say, "You know the vast majority of them appear to only be in the literary game for the quick buck and you want someone who is invested in you, respects and sees the potential audience for the serious life-jolting issues you address in your manuscripts, and works to refine what you write, not completely change it to sound like some other famous memoir writer."  I'm beginning to think that might be too much to ask for as a writer these days and that's going to most likely become a sad reality the many facets of traditional publishing will eventually face and realize much too late. 

What does the above paragraph have to do with my review of Home Is Burning by Dan Marshall?  I'm getting there, folks.  The gist of this memoir is that a spoiled, crass and belligerent Millennial writes notes about his experience of having his life turned upside down when his father is diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), his mother is undergoing continuous cancer treatment, and he returns home to help care for them.  And he is NOT happy about having to give up his spoiled, rich LA life and his budding relationship with a quite self-involved girlfriend.  And I just want to say that I kept thinking to myself, dude, she's not the one for you.  She's leading you around like a puppy on a leash.  Grow up, go find some semblance of maturity, and get thee back to the ranch to help your parents.  Note to readers:  it gets worse not better with regard to his personal life.  When he does make it home to help, he finds a brother there who has moved in to assist in parental care, one sister who appears to just go on with her life like nothing should stop her world from its positive progress, another sister who appears to immerse herself in school and dance while living in denial, and an additional younger sister who appeared to just want to escape the whole situation even if it meant chucking her entire future by making some foolish choices.  All I have to say as a Generation Xer is this:  God Help Us All If Most Millennials Respond To Family Trauma In The Demented Manner This Author Relates.  I can tell you Mr. Marshall that I've faced more demons and terrible situations than you.  If I had behaved the way you relate in your memoir, my parents would have back-slapped me right on toward my next nine lives.  Comprende?  And your vulgarity, disrespect, and malicious humor reek of a narcissist stench the likes of which I hope to never ever have in my life. 

And here's what is truly worrisome to me, folks.  Someone thought this was book was entertaining.  Someone thought readers needed to give this writer some precious reading time.  Someone actually deemed this manuscript worthy of publication and the writer worthy of literary representation.  The rest of us (memoir writers) have been knocking ourselves out trying to relate to literary agents, research their interests, connect with acquiring editors, write 72 page book proposals, and put forth manuscripts that tackle life issues in a blunt, respectable and teachable fashion.  And then this guy gets his crude memoir published and has enough arrogance to review his book on one internet site and say that it is terrific and the author is a genius.  Are you kidding me??  Here's some advice:  Get A Conscience, Find some humble pie, and If you should ever find yourself diagnosed with a medical issue like glaucoma, stage four colon cancer, Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma, leg amputation, etc. Go find a steel boot with spurs and kick yourself in the can for writing such a juvenile, repulsive piece of work.

Don't waste your time with this book, lit loves.  It's selfish, nasty and not worth your time or money.

Truly,
Grace
(Amy)

No comments:

Post a Comment