Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Why A Literary Agent Should Sign Me

Dear Literary Loves,
I am writing this blog posting because it has become apparent to me that many literary agents need some serious convincing that I could be their next big break-out writer.  No kidding.  On that note, henceforth allow me to count the benefits of signing me as a new, debut author:

1)  I Am A Former English Teacher:  I hold a Bachelor's and Master's in Communications.  I have taught writing to many different types and classes of people.  Not only am I familiar with middle and high school age folks, I have also worked as an editor for college students and their many essays and thesis papers.  I edit for my tech consulting husband in relation to any tech articles he writes for magazines and journals. You never have to worry if a manuscript or proposal from me is going to arrive clean and free of errors. 

2)  I Write Both Fiction And Nonfiction:  I don't like to limit myself as a writer.  I truly am dedicated to the memoir genre, but I also have manuscripts in the genre of fiction.  I even write "light" pieces that are related to my love of felines.  I like diversity and it shows in my already completed three manuscripts.


3)  I Can Stage A Massive Book Party:  I plan on hosting a major southern-themed book party whenever my first book is published.  This party will have to be a floating book party with a time span of a couple of hours because that is how many people want to come.  Also, I used to stage events for a tech company so I'm used to hosting large gatherings.

4)  I Have Three Manuscripts Completed:  I'm serious.  These babies are waiting for an editor to take them to the next level and embrace them as much as I do.  It can't happen soon enough.

5)  I Have My Own Web Site:  Oh yes, I decided to launch my own writer/author Web site before I found an agent or editor because I wanted to be a part of the social media network.  Okay, it helps that my husband is a tech guru with many software engineering friends.

6)  I Have No Problems With Public Speaking:  I never had to take courses in public speaking in college because I passed an exam that ensured that I didn't need to sit through the specifics of learning how to speak well in public.  I am a former teacher.  You have to also be an actress when you teach in order to hold the attention and interest of twelve to eighteen year olds, trust me.

7)  I Write About Moving Experiences:  I write about those critical moments in our lives when we've got to step up to the plate or get out of the game entirely.  I like real, true stories and the nitty-gritty of life because it helps us all grow personally.  And my teaching motto is and always has been:  Know thyself well.  I can also take the experiences of others and bring them to life in fiction with names changed of course.

8)   My Manuscripts Generally Feature Strong Female Leads:  I am all about the female hero.  I'm generally going to read books about a woman making a difference in the world before I ever pick up a book where a man is the protagonist.  Why?  Because we need strong women and we need women who can break barriers in relation to today's culture.

9)  I Regularly Blog:  I have had my blog for two years now.  I often write about the chaos I have experienced trying to mesh with the publishing industry; it's been intriguing.  Additionally, I regularly critique quite a few memoirs on my blog.  I'm not shy about saying what I liked about a book, what I thought was confusing about a book, and why I would or would not recommend the book to other folks.

10)  I Know My Genres:  It's putting it mildly to say I like the memoir genre.  I feed off and learn from the experiences of others.  I know what is on the shelves at Barnes and Noble that is similar to my book and I can quickly and succinctly tell you why my book stands out from the rest.  Also, I know what I want to read about and I know what is not on the shelves that I think would make a great book.

People keep asking me:  Grace (Amy) when is your book going to be published?  Most of these same people know I have three manuscripts in the wings and are as utterly anxious as I am to see those books in a concrete and creative form.  I'm trying to get there folks, but I need an agent and editor that can run this race as quickly and effectively as I can.  Comprende?!
Till Next Time,
Grace (Amy)







No comments:

Post a Comment