Monday, February 18, 2019

Lessons From Reading A Badly Written Memoir

Dear Lit Loves,

I tend to post reviews of books in the memoir genre that are outstanding or particularly well-written.  So it was with great surprise that I recently read a memoir written by a self-proclaimed celebrity that just went off the train tracks and never recovered.  The book dealt with the serious issue of chronic illness.  Since I had recently been diagnosed with a form of the autoimmune illness about which the book's author wrote, I thought surely the book I bought would help guide me on my journey with several chronic illnesses and especially the disease I share with the author.   I thought surely I would be able to identify and sympathize with the author, but no such luck.  Actually, I wanted to go get my money back after ordering the book via Amazon and thankfully, I did not pay the full price for this book at another book retailer.   After finishing the book, I was incredulous that it had been published after I have spent years writing manuscripts on some serious subjects that were never picked up by a literary agent or acquiring editor.  In this particular instance when I completed reading the book, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that publishing is most definitely not a fair game.  Frankly, I think publishing is more about who you know, what level of celebrity status you have, and how much of a social media platform you have obtained. 

Sometimes, in my own publishing journey, I have been enormously frustrated with literary agents, editors, etc.  who continually shout from the rooftops that they want diversity in publishing and more female points of view; however, if you query them as I have, you often receive no response or if you send them a small portion of the manuscript and a forty page book proposal they'll tell you to wait six to eight weeks and at the end of that time period you receive a one sentence email saying they have no idea where to place the book or that they could not connect to the material.  Upon reading this latest memoir, I wanted to hold up my latest regretfully read book purchase and say, "This is why the publishing industry continues to shrink and sales are sluggish.  If this is the best publishing can do by way of memoir, the industry may hit the skids in a New York minute."  And after I continually looked  pitifully at the book and carefully considered its contents, it finally dawned on me that by God, there really is something to learn from a quite badly written memoir. 

Lessons Learned After Reading A Badly Written Memoir:

1)  Solidly written memoir for me must contain authenticity of experience.  It's not about spouting off opinions in each and every chapter or demeaning a group of people or jumping from one topic to another with no interconnection.  

2)  Memoir should have a theme sewn through its pages. 

3)  Edit. Edit. Edit.   And edit once again after you receive an advanced copy of your memoir.  There is no going back once the official published button is pressed. 

4)  Not all literary agents, editors, or publishing houses are equal. 

5)  Check your arrogance as a writer/author at the door when it comes to memoir.  Memoir is about vulnerability and reality.  It is not the arena to act as a preacher or know-it-all.

6)  In my opinion, unless you are a well-known celebrity or a household name, I would not use a picture of myself on the cover of my manuscript or book.  Preferably utilize a symbol associated with the book's theme.

7)  Never include juvenile, inappropriate illustrations or pictures in a memoir as it just makes a writer look juvenile and unprofessional. 

8)  If you can't write about a serious topic in a respectful, informative, and meaningful manner then put down the pen or pencil and step away from the computer.

9)  Memoir is generally not the place to practice a comedy routine.

10)  For heaven's sake, at least be well-read in the genre you choose to utilize as a writer/author.

Till my next post,
Grace
(Amy)

No comments:

Post a Comment