Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Relocation From Atlanta, Georgia To Morrisville, North Carolina

Dear Lit Loves,

Greetings loved ones!  I'm sorry it has been a bit since my last post; however, I was in the midst of packing up a house in Georgia, having my belongings loaded on a United truck, having said belongiings unloaded at a town house in North Carolina, and trying to determine where the nearest grocery store is and what the code is for gate entrance into my new town house complex!  Oh, it's been a scream!  I've thoroughly demolished two pairs of shoes in this whole process which just gives me a valid reason to go shop all the after Christmas sales.  Thank God for my brother who assisted me in the unloading process as I would have had a nervous breakdown otherwise.  You try having four men pulling your belongings off a moving truck, yelling box number and colors, and then trying to direct them where to put your furniture and belongings! 

The second week I spent trying to acquaint myself with my new area.  This included finding a bank, a local post office, a Barnes & Noble, the driver's license office, a pharmacy, and a grocery store.  All was going well up until I fell off a step ladder while trying to put shoe boxes on a top shelf in the master bedroom closet.  I hit the floor head first and then realized I had either sprained or broken my ankle.  Needless to say, I wound up at a Duke Urgent Care center (even though I'm a UNC alumni) and had all sorts of x-rays done.  Good News!  I have great bones due to all the calcium supplements I've been taking since age thirty and I didn't break any bones!  The bad news?  My left foot began to swell twice its normal size and I was told to promptly stop unpacking boxes at a frenetic pace!  Fortunately, after about a week my left foot was back to its normal size; however, I am now sporting various shades of blue and purple across my left foot so at least the healing has begun! 

Next, I located an editor looking for a memoir writer who writes about unusual experiences with a strong female voice.  I had to spend a great amount of time on the chaise due to my foot injury so I spent a lot of time online once Time Warner connected me to cable, phone, and internet service.  I promptly wrote the editor and explained, "You Have Found Your Memoir Writer!"  She requested the book proposal and first fifty pages of the manuscript.  Next, I had two literary agents contact me about my work.  I sent them my query months ago and had basically written them off, but life can surprise you sometimes. 

Meanwhile, I have no idea where my Christmas tree is in the storage unit so I gave up on decorating anything but my front door and that was only after I found my Christmas wreath and bought a wreath hanger for the front door of the town house!  I've been enjoying Christmas trees at various restaurants and cafes I'm just now discovering in the Research Triangle Park area.  I finished my Christmas shopping on Monday so I can now relax and enjoy the holidays.  And that's what I'm doing now along with sending holiday cards and notifying family and friends of my new address and phone number.  You'll probably also find me at Nordstrom or Macy's after Christmas in the shoe department attempting to find new ballet flats and loafers.  Ya'll enjoy the holidays!

Best,
Grace 

No comments:

Post a Comment