Tuesday, February 19, 2013

My Style Of Writing

So I have discovered the reason why literary agents and editors appear to have difficulty with my writing style.  First, I did not major in journalism (though I have worked on a newspaper staff) so I don't try and give the facts of a story and try to remain objective.  I don't require a ghost writer as I am a former English, Creative Writing, Public Speaking, etc. instructor so I have no problem getting  words on paper in a logical and meaningful manner.  I'm not a celebrity; therefore, I don't know  privileges that kind of life entails so I obviously write in a more layman's/laywoman's language.  I certainly didn't major in poetry (although I have taught it) so I don't really write in metaphors and with rhymes.  Nor is my writing style short and sweet.  It's a writing style that's more like an  eyewitness account by an impassioned participant who is relaying the story to you as she lives it.  I think my writing is startling to some because I pride myself on telling it like it is in a no-holds-barred fashion which can come across as irreverent, at times laugh out loud funny, and sometimes soberly in your face realism.   It can be hard to contain someone like me in person and of course on paper; I can get seriously carried away.  I write about personal experience both my own and that of my family members.  This is personal stuff.  I relate to my readers as if I am having a conversation with them over lunch at the local tavern.  I don't try and produce writing that is reflective of research and analyses; for God's sake, the last thing anyone would ever accuse me of is being stale and boring.  So I am still waiting to find an editor that can take on a southern firecracker.

I am now reading the memoir Brain On Fire:  My Month Of Madness by Susannah Cahalan and will write a review about it shortly.  First I have to figure out my new laptop and why it suddenly deletes important chunks of my writing.  Once I  discover why this is happening and how to rectify the problem I will be back with my latest review.



No comments:

Post a Comment