Friday, December 30, 2011

On Flying Direct And Solo

This isn't a review of a book, although, the title I will keep in mind for future manuscripts.  I have
officially given up the quest for a literary agent.  Fifty percent of them never replied to my cover letter and then I discovered something really amazing!  You do NOT have to obtain a literary agent in order to get published!  FOLKS!  THERE IS A LITERARY GOD!  After reviewing various publishing house submission guidelines, I found that yes, you can submit directly to various publishing houses.  Since my memoir revolves around my dad's second bout with lymphoma, I have noticed that literary agents tend to see the word "cancer" and literally run screaming from the room as if there hair is on fire.  Maybe they forgot about the success of Tuesdays With Morrie or The Last Lecture, but I did not.  I have always told my students that you can do anything you set your mind to and then I decided to write a memoir and attempt to get it published.  And I started doubting myself.  For Crying Out Loud I'm An English Teacher!  Who better to work with on writing and revisions?! 

Now I am sending partials of the manuscript direct to publishers.  Oh yes, I did my homework from A to Z, and I basically did the job of a literary agent in doing so as well.  Yes, there is approval of contracts, but I decided to hire my own intellectual property attorney and entirely cut out the middle-man.  You guessed it!  That's why I like piloting my own plane, being captain of my own ship, or determining my own destiny.  I have always been of the mantra, if you want something done right and well, by God, do it yourself and pray.  Additionally, I also had an editor of a  publishing house contact me about submitting the manuscript directly to him.  I could not figure out how he discovered my cover letter until he informed me an agent that works in the same building thought my manuscript had merit and brought it to his attention.  BLESS ME!  AND BLESS WHOEVER THAT MIRACULOUS LITERARY AGENT IS THAT DID NOT RUN SCREAMING FROM THE ROOM UPON SEEING THE WORD "CANCER" AND "MEMOIR".  A THOUSAND BOWS TO YOU SIR OR MA'AM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment